Physical Therapy Schools in Kentucky
If you’re considering entering the field of physical therapy, then you’ll certainly want to learn about the educational and credentialing processes for becoming a licensed and registered Physical Therapist, as well as the physical therapy schools in Kentucky which are available to prepare you for a career in your selected field.
Educational Options in Kentucky
There are many states in which physical therapy college and university programs are quite abundant. The physical therapy schools in Kentucky, on the other hand, are somewhat limited, with only two universities offering accredited doctorate programs in physical therapy.
Licensure and CAPTE Accreditation
In order to become licensed and registered in your home state as a Physical Therapist, you must complete a minimum of a Master’s Degree program with a college or university that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), the authoritative and governing body that reviews and approves the curriculum of physical therapy and physical therapy assistant educational programs in the United States.
To qualify for the national licensing exam in physical therapy, you must hold a Master’s Degree or higher from a CAPTE accredited college or university. The same is true for registering with the state medical board in all fifty states in the U.S. This is the reason that choosing a CAPTE accredited school is so important. There are two physical therapy schools in Kentucky currently accredited by CAPTE: Bellarmine University in Louisville and the University of Kentucky, which has two separate campuses offering the DPT (Doctorate in physical therapy) program in Lexington and Hazard.
Bellarmine University offers a three year graduate DPT program during which students must complete 145 credit hours. It is a competitive program where only about 15% of qualified applicants are accepted. The campus is located in a primarily residential area of Louisville where there is lots of on and off campus options for housing, parking and transportation. The city of Louisville is dynamic, which makes Bellarmine among the most intriguing physical therapy schools in Kentucky in terms of social and entertainment options.
Clinical experiences in this program are robust too, with internships and practicum occurring throughout all three years of the program. During the first year, students participate in weekly clinicals each Friday. In the second year, students complete a six week, full time internship. During the final year of the program, students complete three consecutive, full time, twelve week clinical internships in three different locations, and immersing students in their work environments. Clinical sites include local, regional and national facilities, including acute care locations, rehabilitation and community-based locales. Specialty clinical experiences are also available.
University of Kentucky
There are two physical therapy schools in Kentucky offered by the University of Kentucky, including one at the main campus in Lexington and a satellite program in Hazard. Each program is a three year, graduate level curriculum that requires the completion of 120 credit hours, including both classroom study and clinical rotations. In order to gain admission to either program, students must have a C grade point average and about 47% of qualified applicants are admitted. There are about 48 students admitted each year in Lexington and about 16 annually in Hazard.
Clinicals at the University of Kentucky
Students must complete 37 weeks of clinical internships at either of these physical therapy schools in Kentucky. Students spend the first year of the program involved in classroom studies and labs. During the second year, clinical experiences begin. The first clinical is one week in length. The second is four weeks of full time assignment. The third is a six week, full time internship.
During the final year of the program, students complete a total of 28 weeks of clinicals, including two full time, eight week rotations and one full time, ten week internship. Clinical experiences are required in rehabilitation, acute care and outpatient facilities and specialized internships are also available.
Physical Therapy Schools in Kentucky
Physical Therapy Program
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205-1863
Phone: (502) 452-8356
Division of Physical Therapy
University of Kentucky
Charles T Wethington Building
900 S Limestone
Lexington, KY 40536-0001
Phone: (859) 323-1100
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Discover the power of ONE COURSE A MONTH® to fit education into your busy life. Brown Mackie College’s ONE COURSE A MONTH® schedule lets you focus on your course work one subject at a time.
- Associate of Applied Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Dreaming of a future in Cosmetology? Enjoy the personal rewards of helping people look and feel their best.
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology