Physical Therapy Schools in Kentucky
If you’re considering entering the field of physical therapy, then you’ll certainly want to learn about the educational and credentialing processes for becoming a licensed and registered Physical Therapist, as well as the physical therapy schools in Kentucky which are available to prepare you for a career in your selected field.
Educational Options in Kentucky
There are many states in which physical therapy college and university programs are quite abundant. The physical therapy schools in Kentucky, on the other hand, are somewhat limited, with only two universities offering accredited doctorate programs in physical therapy.
Licensure and CAPTE Accreditation
In order to become licensed and registered in your home state as a Physical Therapist, you must complete a minimum of a Master’s Degree program with a college or university that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), the authoritative and governing body that reviews and approves the curriculum of physical therapy and physical therapy assistant educational programs in the United States.
To qualify for the national licensing exam in physical therapy, you must hold a Master’s Degree or higher from a CAPTE accredited college or university. The same is true for registering with the state medical board in all fifty states in the U.S. This is the reason that choosing a CAPTE accredited school is so important. There are two physical therapy schools in Kentucky currently accredited by CAPTE: Bellarmine University in Louisville and the University of Kentucky, which has two separate campuses offering the DPT (Doctorate in physical therapy) program in Lexington and Hazard.
Bellarmine University offers a three year graduate DPT program during which students must complete 145 credit hours. It is a competitive program where only about 15% of qualified applicants are accepted. The campus is located in a primarily residential area of Louisville where there is lots of on and off campus options for housing, parking and transportation. The city of Louisville is dynamic, which makes Bellarmine among the most intriguing physical therapy schools in Kentucky in terms of social and entertainment options.
Clinical experiences in this program are robust too, with internships and practicum occurring throughout all three years of the program. During the first year, students participate in weekly clinicals each Friday. In the second year, students complete a six week, full time internship. During the final year of the program, students complete three consecutive, full time, twelve week clinical internships in three different locations, and immersing students in their work environments. Clinical sites include local, regional and national facilities, including acute care locations, rehabilitation and community-based locales. Specialty clinical experiences are also available.
University of Kentucky
There are two physical therapy schools in Kentucky offered by the University of Kentucky, including one at the main campus in Lexington and a satellite program in Hazard. Each program is a three year, graduate level curriculum that requires the completion of 120 credit hours, including both classroom study and clinical rotations. In order to gain admission to either program, students must have a C grade point average and about 47% of qualified applicants are admitted. There are about 48 students admitted each year in Lexington and about 16 annually in Hazard.
Clinicals at the University of Kentucky
Students must complete 37 weeks of clinical internships at either of these physical therapy schools in Kentucky. Students spend the first year of the program involved in classroom studies and labs. During the second year, clinical experiences begin. The first clinical is one week in length. The second is four weeks of full time assignment. The third is a six week, full time internship.
During the final year of the program, students complete a total of 28 weeks of clinicals, including two full time, eight week rotations and one full time, ten week internship. Clinical experiences are required in rehabilitation, acute care and outpatient facilities and specialized internships are also available.
Physical Therapy Schools in Kentucky
Physical Therapy Program
2001 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205-1863
Phone: (502) 452-8356
Division of Physical Therapy
University of Kentucky
Charles T Wethington Building
900 S Limestone
Lexington, KY 40536-0001
Phone: (859) 323-1100
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Occupational Therapy Aide
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Relaxation Therapist
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling